Saturday, May 17, 2008

Random thoughts about worship and baseball

Yeah, I suppose those two things (worship and baseball) don't have too much in common...unless you go to a Cincinnati Reds vs. Cleveland Indians game and watch the actions of others in attendance. I was struck again last night, as I have been before, about just how worshipful we are as humans. And I was struck again last night, as I have been before, how the object of our worship is so far from what it should be most of the time.

Last night I went to the Reds game. I don't often go to games just because of the hassle in getting downtown, the cost of the ticket, and to be quite honest...I think baseball is rather boring. I know, I may have just lost a reader or two with that comment, but seriously...it is quicker to watch a wall of paint dry than it is to sit through 9 innings of baseball. The only part that keeps me going on occasion is the atmosphere. It is electric. There are people yelling, clapping, singing and being social. But like I said, I was struck again at what Louie Giglio would term "the purest form of worship." And I asked myself the question as we drove away from the stadium, when was the last time I stood up and jumped up and down and cheered for Jesus? Certainly He has accomplished much more than any one of the Cincinnati Reds. Surely what He did for me was much more meaningful and life altering than Adam Dunn hitting a two run homer in the 3rd.

And yet I find myslelf living day to day thankful and grateful, but not excited. Why is this? Is it because it's already done? Is it because I accepted Christ long ago and now it's more a matter of doing? Is it because a lot of the world is not interested in cheering for Jesus, and when I do I just feel alone? Today I asked God for a new perspective. Today I asked God to open my eyes to His many daily wonders...daily reasons to stand up and cheer. We all live lives of worship. I want my worship to be toward the only One who is truly worthy of my worship.

No comments: