Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What would happen if......?

As I said in my last post, I had the opportunity to go to a Cincinnati Reds game last weekend. As I was sitting there in the stands I had a random thought that I wanted to share. I did a masters degree in sports marketing and management. One of our classes was on facility management, where we learned the in and out of running a professional sports stadium. Well, the other night sitting there watching grown men play a game for $20 a ticket (and we were in the nosebleeds), I had a thought. "I wonder how many starving kids could be fed with the money that it costs to run a stadium for just one night?" The thought has stayed with me and I can't get it off my mind.
I am as guilty as the next person while living in this blessed country. I consume more than I should and I spend more than I should. But the thought crossed my mind that we really have our priorities screwed up. I'm not sure that I could look a small, starving child in the face and apologize to him for not sending more food, but I had to go to a baseball game. I'm not sure where these thoughts will lead, but they are for sure rattling around in my brain and heart. My heart breaking for those who are struggling. What do you think?

1 comment:

Pete said...

ouch... talk about deep.
Maybe you should ask Karl... or Bob... or Dusty.
Hope all is well in your world.
I miss you.