Monday, June 23, 2008

BigStuf

I am sorry it's been a while since my last post...but it has been a very busy month around here. With the end of school, all the graduations and grad parties, and regular ministry events, I've been running around like crazy. I always know when my life is a little bit out of control when I look at the interior of my car...it is a mess...and that usually translates to a messy life. But hey, when I share what I'm about to share, it's totally worth it!!

We just returned from BigStuf camp down in Panama City Beach, FL. And let me tell you, if you have never been to BigStuf before, you should find a way to get there. Big stuff will happen in your life and in the lives of your students over the week that you are there.

I grew up on the west coast of Florida and I had always been told that Panama City Beach was a crazy place to go. There are a lot of unsavory things that happen on or near that beach, especially right around spring break time every year. But imagine a beach like that with 1,500 kids and leaders praising the one true God and learning how to walk with Him. It was incredible.

I will honestly say that when we left Cincinnati last Sunday, I was exhausted and frustrated. Ministry was not going as I had planned (of course, it never does when "I" plan it), and it had been a busy spring. I was not ready to take a group of high school students away for a week. But it wasn't 24 hours into our stay in Panama City when God broke through my own selfishness and opened my heart to what He was about to do in my life and in the lives of my students. Throughout the week I saw Him change hearts like only He can. I saw a young man who was kind of interested in Christianity, but also practicing Buddhism to some extent, come to a saving faith in Jesus. I saw a young woman who had never heard the gospel before respond by inviting Jesus into her life. I saw another young woman who has been a Christ follower for a while confess openly about some of the lies that she has been living and be baptized.

Only God can make changes in lives like this. And it is an incredible thing to be a part of. I am so excited to have the privilege of walking with these students as they explore their new hearts. I am so grateful that God would choose me to be the one to do it.

No comments: