Saturday, May 23, 2009

Blemished offerings and a gracious God

I have been really wrestling lately with the concept of living in this broken, messed up world. Honestly, most of my wrestling has been with the idea that God wants nothing less than all of who we are, and yet it is so rare to see someone completely sold out to God. Tonight, God smacked me upside the head with something so I just want to write and see if I can make sense of it.

In Malachi, God really comes down on the Israelites (and especially the priests) for giving up blemished animals for their offering to a Holy God. He says, "Cursed is the cheat who has an acceptable male in his flock and vows to give it but then sacrifices a blemished animal to the Lord. For I am a great king, says the Lord Almighty, and my name is to be feared among the nations." Some strong language God is using here, and it for sure stings.

I can't help but think of how often I take the very best of what I have and use it for me. Or how I give my left-over time to God instead of giving Him my best hours. Tomorrow I am speaking at our high school service on the holiness of God. But one of the things I am talking about is what the fear of the Lord really looks like. I love reading the Old Testament in light of the New. I love thinking about the sacrifice that God gave to us in Jesus and how gracious He is in forgiving us.

But more than that, I love that the fear I have for God is becoming more and more complete awe as to who He is and what He is about. I can't give any excuses for why I often times give God blemished offerings. What I can do is continue to fix my eyes on the grace and love of Christ and automatically my offerings become more pure...not because of anything I did, but because of everything He did. My desire becomes more for Him and less for me. And in turn, He teaches me how to love better...with more purity of heart and intention.

What do your offerings look like?

No comments: