Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Things I enjoy

There are many things I enjoy in this life. Unfortunately, often times I don't take the time to do what I enjoy because I'm too busy doing the things I have to do. (See 2 blog posts ago...) One of the things I enjoy more than anything, though, is good conversation and friends. I love getting to know new people and getting a glimpse at what God really means by the body of Christ.

A few months ago a few of my friends invited me to be a part of a new small group from a local church. I was a little hesitant because I didn't know any of the other people involved, but one night out per week with adult conversation sounded fantastic to me, so I tagged along. I have learned so much from these folks. First and foremost, they have welcomed me into their lives with open arms. That is not a totally normal thing to do, as most people have their "friends" and don't make an effort to really make new ones. Not this group, they were very warm from the get-go and it didn't take me long to feel a part of their lives.

It was a quick 6 week study, but we've gotten the chance to hang out a few other times outside of our group and it's been a real blessing to get to know them. Tonight was one of those times, and just the girls went out for some sushi and conversation. This is one awesome group of ladies. What I realized though, as I drove home tonight, was how much I've learned from each one of them. And how neat it is to see so many different personalities come together and share life.

If I'm honest, one of the things God has been showing me lately has been just how task-focused I can be and how I can end up holding others to some kind of unreachable standard. (It's the same one I hold myself to most of the time...which is never a good thing.) So my prayer has been very simple over the past few weeks..."Lord, help me love more." This is one of the things my new friends have really challenged me with (and I don't think they even realize it.) They love well....they love their kids well, they love their spouses well, and they have loved each other (an consequently me) well.

If there is one thing I'm certain that I will get a lot of practice with this summer it's loving other people well. And so I continue with the simple prayer that God gives me His eyes to see where and how I can love whoever I come in contact with. I've heard it said that love can change the world. I want to change the world...one person at a time.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

SO GOOD TO HEAR! YEAH GOD! I MISS YOU LOTS AND OUR LONG CONVERSATIONS, HANGING OUT, TRIPS TO THE OUTLET, SEEING YOU LOVE ON AND PLAY WITH MY KIDDOS. ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO MOVE TO CHICAGO? SO EXCITED TO HEAR WHAT GOD IS DOING IN YOUR LIFE AND EAGER TO HEAR WHAT HE WILL DO THIS SUMMER. HOW MANY DAYS TILL YOU LEAVE? WE WILL BE IN CINCY AROUND JULY 27ISH, WILL YOU BE THERE? LOVE AND MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY.