Friday, July 10, 2009

One Day

So it's less than 24 hours until I get on a plane headed for Nigeria! I am so excited to be there...but there is almost 24 hours of travel time standing in the way of me stepping foot in Africa. Let me tell you how much I love to fly...NOT AT ALL!! I used to be terrified of the entire process. Now I am only really afraid of the taking off and landing parts...the parts when I'm closest to the ground, moving at high speeds. It just doesn't seem very safe. But is hanging out in Africa safe either?

This summer, Back2Back's theme for ministry is "Shelter" from Psalm 91. Here are the first two verses....
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

If God is truly my shelter, than what do I have to fear? The reality is that we have nothing to fear at all in this life if we trust in God as soverign. This has been on my mind since February when I decided God was leading me to Nigeria this summer. At first there was a little bit of fear in my heart...fear in the unknown and in me confronting the unknown head on. But God has gently whispered to me time and again since then that I have nothing to fear. Does this mean that I won't get hurt or that nothing bad will ever happen? Not at all. This world is a mess and devistating things happen every day all around us. But it means that I trust my life to God and know that eternity is forever. I am confident as a daughter of God and I know that whatever happens to me is all a part of God's plan.

I think of Paul and him saying, "To live is Christ and to die is gain." I get that. If I am going to continue to live on this earth it's going to be giving myself away in the name of Christ, because nothing is more important than that. And if I were to die today, I would be face to face with my Savior...how awesome is that????!!!!!

I'm not sure we are "safe" no matter where we are. Even driving a car is more dangerous than most of us realize on a daily basis. But when we are resting in God's shelter, we are secure. He will take care of us and lead us in the right direction, wherever that might take us!!

See you all on the other side!!


No comments: