Thursday, August 13, 2009

Coming Home

Well, tomorrow is the day.  We will board a plane tomorrow afternoon and head back to Cincinnati.  I have mixed emotions as we attempted a bit of closure this afternoon.  I have great anticipation of coming home and diving back into coaching and ministry, and at the same time I have a well of sadness about leaving what has been home for the past 5 weeks.  I have a lot to process as I think about all that I've experienced while being here.  God has shown up in some big ways.  I have been able to participate in some great ministry as well as have some very intimate time with God.  I cannot begin to tell you all that God has shown me during this time right now, but I will continue to process and share what I can.  One thing that I am confident of is that God is calling me to stay put in Cincinnati.  I know some of you were probably wondering if this trip would surface a calling to full time missions in Africa.  I'm not going to say that at some point in my life that is not going to happen, but for now, I believe with my whole heart that He has called me to Horizon and the students in Indian Hill, Mariemont, Madeira and Anderson.  I am excited about this.  It's not that I didn't have an amazing time while being here in Africa.  I am excited about continuing our relationship here and I'm hoping to at some point bring our college students and maybe some adults from Horizon here to experience a glimpse of what I have.  (Sorry Phil, I know you said not to get excited about that, but I really am.)  I think the perspective that I've gained about poverty, God's heart for the lost, and our role in all of it is so valuable.  I've also gained some huge perspective about who I am in Christ and my role in this crazy world.  I want to invite you all to pray for me and with me as I transition back to the US.  Also please pray for our flights tomorrow.  We have a 9 hour flight from Abuja, Nigeria to Frankfurt.  Then we have another 9 hour flight back to Chicago.  I will arrive in to Cincinnati Saturday evening. Thanks for all of your prayer while I've been here, it's been the most amazing experience of my life.  

No comments: