Monday, August 31, 2009

Seeing Clearly

I read a book while I was in Nigeria called "Soul Cravings" by Erwin McManus. I am a big fan of Erwin, and it's not just because he has a sweet name. It's because I really appreciate his speaking and writing. He always challenges me to go a bit deeper and think on a different level. This week I have been thumbing back through Soul Cravings because I am going to reference it in a talk to high school students this weekend about community.

I just wanted to share one quote with you. He is talking about how there is no such thing as a perfect community. Duh! Of course not...because we are all flawed so as soon as we join into a community it is automatically flawed. But because of this imperfection, he says, "it's easier to be patient with people when you realize they're being patient with you." I think that is a brilliant statement. I remember reading this about 2 weeks in to living in a house with 14 other people in Africa. I remember thinking..."Amen, brother!" as I recalled how I had to be patient with one of my new friends over something and realized that she was being pateint with me over the same issue. We just saw things differently.

But now I've been back home for over 2 weeks. I have been back in my apartment where I live alone and once I walk in that door only have to be patient with myself. And I've noticed myself being less patient with the people in my life when I am not consistently confronted with community living and constantly pushed to be patient with others. It bums me out because my desire is to love the people around me well, but my selfishness does rear its ugly head at times when I don't necessarily get what I want. I don't think anyone else would even notice, but I notice. I feel it in my gut when I know I should be giving grace and in my spirit I am frustrated or angry or feeling put off by something someone else did.

So today I am reminded that nobody is perfect and that we are all on this journey called life...where we are so blessed to have the opportunity to walk together in it. My prayer today is that God would help me to see from someone elses' shoes. And that He would make me aware of my shortcomings that others have to deal with, which inevitably makes me more patient when I notice someone elses shortcomings. Thank you God that you are so patient with me.

No comments: